Thursday, May 19, 2016

Catching up with a high school friend after 46 years!

Sunday, May 15, Asheville, NC
Woke up to a chilly morning in the NC western mountains.  It got down to 42 last night.  So did I happen to mention we have forced hot air heat in the RV when we need it?  Turned it on for a few minutes and it took the chill right out.
We headed back into Asheville mid morning and got on the trolly Tours for a visit to the Grove Park Inn.  The inn was built with immigrant labor and is constructed of rock from a nearby mountain.  The walls are four feet thick!  We toured the huge fireplaces in the lobby then headed for the car and craft museum on the property.  Saw some really neat NC furniture pieces. Later we headed back into downtown and paid a visit to the Mast General Store, where after the cold night I was tempted t o buy some long john pj's.
 Fireplace in the lobby of the Grove Park Inn

 Lobby of the Grove Park Inn




 Some interesting wind catchers
 I really liked this workbench.
 An interesting lamp base.
 Interesting table
 Another interesting lamp
 This chess set had a really nice drawer feel to it.
 This was a really intricate table made fron one piece of wood
 I want to make one of these finger chimes with my grandkids.


 As some of you know I really am partial to standing desks so I could not pass this picture up.

 And some of you know that I am someday going to restore my grand fathers cash register from his hay and feed store in Brooklyn, This is a picture of a similar piece.

 I thought of my grand children when I saw this sign in the car museum.
 On the way back into downtown we saw this dome which is made to look like aging copper but is really stone tile colored to look like copper.

 At the Mast General store, here are my long john pj's I am tempted to buy if it does not warm up soon!
Later in the afternoon we met up with Mary Alice Green who I dated back in my senior year in high school.  It was great talking about old times and what had gone on in our lives since 1968.

No comments:

Post a Comment